Crossmuller was engaged to design, program and commission a multi ingredient supply and processing system for one of Australia’s major food manufacturers.
Crossmuller was responsible for the design, installation, and commissioning of the control system for the upgrade.
The Scope of Work included:
- A Recipe System to Batch a number of ingredients into a cooking vessel, confirming delivery and cooking the ingredients. The cooked product was then discharged to a designated packaging area. Batching functionality included automatic, semi-automatic and individual manual control of all products and functions.
- Electrical installation and process control of a new cooking vessel.
- Electrical design, installation and control of a valve matrix system utilized in the recipe management system. This matrix system comprised a number of valves to control product flow to selected vessels as well as common flow meters for each ingredient type.
- Full safety upgrade including programmable safety system through a distributed field safety system.
- Upgrade and automation of the existing equipment.
- Project management and coordination.
- Integration of a third party supplied CIP cleaning system.
- Integration with a third party supplied cooking vessel.
- Electrical design and drawings to the customer’s standards.
- Allen Bradley CompactLogix PLC communicating to the factory network, and numbers of remote cabinets consisting of distributed I/O via Ethernet IP protocol. This system also required communications to a number of other PLCs of varying vintage.
- Distributed I/O through the Flex I/O system on Ethernet IP.
- Wonderware InTouch. This work built on the customer’s existing operator interface system to deliver better operator information of the process, and access to the new Recipe System.
- A Wieland Samos safety system with distributed safety was incorporated into the overall solution.
- ABB flow meters and SPV hygienic control valves were key elements in the overall project objectives of improving both the accuracy and hygienic rating of the Cooking Floor production area.